Grand Tour of Christchurch Including Botanic Gardens Gondola Punting and Hop-On Hop-Off Tram
- Instant Confirmation
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
Your first activity is a 30-minute boat ride on the tranquil Avon River by punt, a traditional flat-bottomed boat. Share the small, comfortable boat with a couple of companions, and listen to the commentary of your punter, who guides you along the scenic waterway.
Adjacent to the Avon River, the Christchurch Botanic Gardens sit on 52 acres (21 hectares) of beautifully landscaped space. Explore the gardens on a caterpillar tour (an open-air shuttle) that takes you past exotic and native plant species. Stop for a closer look at areas such as the glass conservatories that house tropical vegetation, 250 varieties of roses, or an herb garden that features plants known for medicinal and culinary uses.
After lunch, take in the scenery as you travel through the coastal suburbs of Sumner and Redcliffs. See sights like Cave Rock, an unusual volcanic rock formation on Sumner Beach with great views of the coast. Then head to the Christchurch Gondola, an enclosed cabin that glides up the Port Hills to Summit Station. Disembark at the top, 1,500 feet (500 meters) above sea level, to admire panoramic views over Christchurch, Lyttelton Harbour (Whakaraupo) and the Southern Alps. An audiovisual exhibit called The Time Tunnel describes the region’s natural and human history. You'll also have some time here for lunch.
Your tour ends in town at the Christchurch Tram. You have the rest of the day to ride the elegant heritage tram, which operates as a hop-on hop-off tour. Disembark at any of the 17 stops to explore the city center on your own or explore Re:START shopping district, a popular spot that exemplifies Christchurch’s recovery after the devastation of the 2011 earthquake. The innovative outdoor mall features shops and eateries in sturdy, colorful designer shipping containers.
Cathedral Junction @ 9.45am
Call 03 366 7830 to change pickup location.
- Christchurch Botanic Gardens caterpillar tour
- 30-minute Avon River punt ride
- Christchurch Gondola ride
- Hotel pickup (call 03 366 7830 before 9.30am to arrange pick up)
- Entry/Admission - Christchurch Botanic Gardens
- Entry/Admission - Christchurch Gondola
- Entry/Admission - Avon River
- Transport to/from the attractions
- Food and drinks
- Hotel drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please dress appropriately for the weather and wear comfortable shoes
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- All customer must be at the pickup location at the given time.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers