Rio's Challenge: Pedra da Gávea Hike
Join this tour to discover the coastal monolith, the Pedra da Gávea. This carioca classic is inside of the Tijuca National Park. In addition to being a natural landmark, there is a mystic aura that permeates the hike, with legends of possible portals that exit in Machu Picchu to the belief that this mountain was sculpted by the Phoenicians.
The hike up is a combination of dirt trails and scrambling. After a few stops to snap pictures and cool off in the fresh water source, we reach the rock climbing section. Don't worry, our guides will provide all the safety equipment to enjoy this section with ease.
At the roomy summit we'll have time to enjoy Rio’s sweetest views, relax a little, and talk about the history of the city.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
- Travel through time as we start the hike in a colonial era stone pathway
- Experience the atlantic forest with a fun and challenging hike
- Conquer the “Carrasqueira” rock climbing section with provided safety equipment
- Reach the summit of 844m of the grand coastal monolith
- Relax at the top, take some amazing pictures, and discover Rio’s history and diverse urban ecosystems
- On the way down we will rappel to safely pass the climbing section and continue the hike down to the starting point
Duration: 7 hours
Location: Pedra da Gavea, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro
Traveler pickup is offered
We offer transportation (with an extra charge of R$ 80 per person, minimum 2 persons). Our pick ups happen in Rio's South and Central areas.
2019 - Without transfer
2019 - With transfer*
Appreciating the view at the summit
- Use of certified climbing equipment
- Multilingual guiding services
- First Aid Kit
- Foods and Drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option not selected)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers